Anglican Church of Australia
Diocese of The Murray
in South Australia

DiocesanLogo


Parish Priest: Rev John Hewitson
Mob: 0447 772 502              Ph: 08 8532 6346  

Church Wardens
Margaret Seager     08 8568 2368
Jean McQueen     08 8568 2875



 

Home  Resources  News  Events St Johns Anglican Church Mt Pleasant

 Pastoral District of Mannum – Mt Pleasant & Mt Torrens


St Andrews

St John

St George

Rectory
St Andrews – Mannum  
St Johns – Mt Pleasant
231 Melrose Street


Service times:
Sundays 8.30 am

St Georges – Mt Torrens
The Rectory – Mannum


The Church of St John the Evangelist, Mount Pleasant

Prior to the establishment of the township of Mount Pleasant, Anglican services were conducted by a Missioner of the Talunga Mission for settlers in the twin townships of Totness and Hendryton.

On 16th December 1859 the foundation of a new church was laid on a piece of land originally vested for the purpose in the names of the Lord Bishop, Charles James Cook and Henry Giles, both of Mount Pleasant and William Forrest and John Bennett, both of South Rhine.

The walls of the building were completed by March 1860 and the church was completed and ready for dedication by the Lord Bishop of Adelaide on 28th October 1860.

Between 240 and 250 people attended the service on that day and it was reported that collections totalled upwards of 8.


Original rectory
Original Rectory of 1870 at Mt Pleasant on the banks of the Torrens below the existing church. Visible now only as a heap of rubble.
This building was later expanded on three sides but sadly destroyed in the bushfires of 1926. A new rectory was built in the township on the corner of Showground Road and Memorial Avenue and with the amalgamation of the parish with Mannum and the move of the priest to the rectory at Mannum,  the 'new rectory' is still owned by the parish as a rental property.
                                                    Page last modified 4 Dec 2016
Home
Resources
News
Events
Ministers