Anglican Church of Australia
Diocese of The Murray
in South Australia

logo


Parish Priest: Rev John Hewitson
Mob: 0447 772 502              Ph: 08 8532 6346  

Church Wardens
Gwen Turner      08 8389 9522
Mungo Bedford      0435 154 508



 

Home  Resources  News  Events St Georges Anglican Church Mt Torrens

 Pastoral District of Mannum – Mt Pleasant & Mt Torrens


St Andrews

St John

St George

Rectory
St Andrews – Mannum
St Johns – Mt Pleasant
St Georges – Mt Torrens
Tuck Street


Service times:
1st & 3rd Sundays 9.00 am
2nd & 4th Sundays 10.30 am
The Rectory – Mannum



The Church of St George The Martyr, Mount Torrens

Mr George Dunn who founded the township of Mt Torrens in 1853, made a gift of half an acre of land as a site for a church in 1859. The foundation stone was laid on the 17th December of the same year.

Heading the list of donors for the building was the Bishop of Adelaide who gave 25. Donations came from 64 people of which the largest were 37/13/6 from Mr James H. Crowe and 26/6/- from George Dunn.

The first Bishop of Adelaide, the Right Reverend Augustus Short dedicated the church on 21st October 1860.

The interior of the church was renovated in 1885 and a new chancel floor put in. Choir stalls were added in 1893 but removed later. The Grave of George Dunn is on the Northern side of the church.













Page last modified 4-Dec-2016


Home
Resources
News
Events
Ministers