Anglican Church of Australia
Diocese of The Murray
in South Australia

logo


Parish Priest: Rev John Hewitson
Mob: 0447 772 502              Ph: 08 8532 6346  

Church Wardens
Geoff Stephens        08 8570 4337
      John Tapley        0439 063 222






Home  Resources News  Events Previous ministers

 Pastoral District of Mannum – Mt Pleasant & Mt Torrens


St Andrews

St John

St George

Rectory
St Andrews – Mannum
4 Adelaide Road

Service times:
Sundays 10.30 am

St Johns – Mt Pleasant
St Georges – Mt Torrens
The Rectory – Mannum



The Church of St Andrew the Apostle and Martyr, Mannum

Anglicans at Mannum and along 425 miles of the River Murray had their earliest ministrations from two mission vessels named ‘Etona’ from 1892.

The last visit of ‘Etona’ was on October 30th 1910.

By the turn of the Century, the Anglicans at Mannum had found their vision of a church of their own.

Although a main street site had been purchased, by the following year arrangements had been made to purchase the Institute which was centrally situated to serve as a church.
The purchase price was to have been 425. But a nobler vision prevailed; the House of God was to be a new building, architecturally suitable for the offering of the liturgy.
 
In the mean time, Capt. J.G.Arnold, a parishioner and businessman, who required a site with a river frontage, exchanged the proposed church site in the main street for the one
upon which Saint Andrew's Church was subsequently built.

The church was dedicated by Bishop A. Nutter Thomas on 24th November 1910.


The ‘Etona’

Anglicans at Mannum and along 425 miles of the River Murray had their earliest ministrations from two mission vessels named ‘Etona’.

The first vessel had been paid for largely from donations from Eton College. This vessel was replaced by a larger one in 1899.

With the first Etona, services were held in woolsheds, hotels, and homesteads. The second one had her own chapel, suitable for small congregations, services being held at thirty-six places along the river.

Settlers of all denominations used the free lending library that the steamer carried. Many marriages and christenings were performed; and every year the Bishop of Adelaide made the voyage to hold confirmation services.

The famous Archdeacon Bussell visited Mannum on these boats, which were floating churches, and he laid the foundation ‘of a brick and stone church on the cliff top on the main road, at the southern end of the main street’.

The last visit of ‘Etona’ was on October 30th 1910.




PS Etona






Page last modified 4-Dec-2016

Home
Resources
News
Events
The Ministers